Works on Walls II: A Group Exhibition

Image

Come see all of my latest work in

WORKS ON WALLS II

A Group Exhibit Featuring Recent Works By:

Beth Borum

Timothy Curtin

Samantha Lee

and Jennifer Faun Manne

 

OPENING RECEPTION:
Sunday, June 29, 2014
2:00-4:00 PM
at THE ART HOUSE

 

I’m really proud of the pieces I’m exhibiting and hoping other people will like them as much as I am. The works from this show have been created over the last 6 weeks. The other individuals exhibiting have been attending the same open studio course as me at the Art House. They are a wonderful bunch, and I’m curious to see how all of our different pieces will look together. Should be fun!

 

Title Still Needed: Green and Gold Multimedia

I have finished all the pieces for my art show on the 29th. More on that in tomorrow’s post. This pieces was one of the two that I made as an afterthought, and strangely enough it has risen through the ranks for become one my favorites.

IMG_1365The canvas was originally just kelly green. I had a ton of leftover green paint from another painting and I was loathe to just wash it away so I used it on this canvas. Later I realized that with the right application it could become the perfect backdrop for the green and gold shrine I had created on the left. To tie the canvas and the shrine together I added teal liquid acrylic and gold patterning to the canvas. I also added the dancing figures. I have been wanting to use the image of the dancing figures since I first came across the source material. The shapes, colors, and mood of the piece really evoked a sense of Irish Folklore for me and I felt the dancing woman captured that theme. All and all I’m very happy with the piece.

IMG_1362IMG_1372

 

 

Here are some images of my process for those who are curious. And for me to refer to in the future. ^_^ And if you think you have a great title leave it in the comments! Thanks.

 

Finally Finished: Red in the Woods

 

IMG_3324
I can’t believe I finally finished this piece!

It has been floating around in my head unfinished for a very long time. I’ve liked the idea of the little red riding hood story for a long time. Last september after Burning Man at Turning the Wheel’s Sound Dance Workshop I came up with a composition. I pictured three wolves at the top with Red coming towards them. I had two large canvases that I had been holding onto for almost a year that would work well for the piece. However I didn’t start the painting until I moved to Chicago earlier this year. Here are the initial sketches for the painting:

IMG_1331IMG_1330

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I followed the steps I outlined in the second sketch pretty closely. I created a background with paint and texture. I painted on my figures, and then I embellished the piece. I struggled a long time with the center of the composition to get it to feel unified. I think I might revisit this idea again in the future and see if I can get something closer to what I originally had in my head. Like the original sketch remarks, I think watercolor may have more of the effect I wanted.

Step 1: Background- Paint, Paper, Texture

begredwolf

Step 2: Figures- Wolves and Red

IMG_1039     IMG_1054    IMG_1057

Step 3: Embellish- Create Depth, Add Sparkle

I used this table cloth to create the pattern on Red's cloak

I used this table cloth to create the pattern on Red’s cloak

 

IMG_1202

Everything painted in except the hand and lantern.

IMG_1322

Added more texture, painted lantern, created depth on the wolves.

IMG_1324

Added the lights to the lantern. It really brought the two halves of the painting together.

Deconstructed Flower Collages

Image

IMG_1314

Here are the results from Saturdays exploration with printmaking and stamps. I ended up cutting up and collaging most of what I had created. However the four prints along the bottom were too cool as is and so I left them alone. The two canvases to the left aren’t complete but I’m very happy with the results so far.

Thanks for checking it out!